Thursday, October 19, 2017

Little Library part 1: building

Howdy all,

Here is an older (but big) project that we finished six months ago. A little library! For those of you that don't know what they are, here is a link to the organization. They are small community gardens, operated by home owners,take a book, leave a book style. We liked the ideas behind the project and it seemed like a good way to build community, meet neighbors, and share some good books!

We used left over plywood from another project, cutting four of them:


To each end, at the back end, I attached a 2 x 2. In the front I used two by fours, which needed to be able to hold the weight of the heavy recycled window door.

After attaching one 2 x 2 to the end piece, I used a clamp to hold the pieces while I drilled the holes.

Here you can see it from beneath. The pieces don't make it all the way to bottom on purpose ;)

Alright, the window fits, that's a good sign!

The roof goes on! I did a slight bevel cut on the end of one so that they would fit tight, though not as tight as I had hoped. Should have just used the table saw! ugg..

Photo of the inside of the library. I added an extra piece of 2x2 for a later shelf. You can also see the floor in place!

Shot of the library with the basic shape worked out.




The window (after a quick sand) in place, with the hinges on. I added a bit of the left over plywood around the window to beef up the edge a little bit, so that it can take some abuse. 

Decided to add a bit of style to the ends:



Alright, I might have gone a bit too far:

Next post. The (never ending) roof, and paint!



No comments:

Post a Comment