Friday, October 27, 2017

Aquaponics set up

After our turtle escaped, I have been turning her former tank into an aquaponics set up. Here is a picture of what it looks like so far, minus the trays for growing veggies (since I've been busy finishing up my PhD). Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture (growing fish) and hydroponics (the growth of plants with only water and nutrients). Basically the fish poop feeds the plants. The systems are supposed to be very efficient and have fewer problems with weeds.

I'll probably be working on this over the winter so that we can try growing leafy greens come spring. At the moment I only use the set up to grow duckweed, which is a small aquatic plant that grows rapidly under the correct conditions. We had originally grown it as food for our turtle, but now I am playing with it for carbon capture experiments. I remember reading an article about these high tech ways of capturing carbon dioxide and thought it could be cheaper to do with just simple plants, algae, and water. No data yet but now that I have time on my hands I'll take a second look.

No comments:

Post a Comment